Flooding is increasing problem in a lot of parts of the United kingdom. Hefty storms, torrential rain, overflowing rivers and tidal surges, all wreak havoc on the landscape, leaving people temporarily homeless. So what actions can landlords with properties in flood-susceptible areas get to shield their homes?
Here’s what to do if you believe your rental house is at danger of flooding. A few methods taken just before a flood transpires could aid to minimise the injury induced.
Flood resistant measures
By taking preventative action, you can decrease the risk of watering getting into your house. Typically, pre-emptive measures are more affordable than the expense of repairing a broken house. So it’s a smart to take into account producing these alterations if you live in an region prone to flooding.
- Lay ceramic tiles on the ground floor.
- Raise the electrical wiring and sockets to at least one.5 metres above ground degree.
- Increase all electrical appliances up on plinths or wall-mount them exactly where possible.
- Use water resistant lime plaster rather of gypsum plaster in the walls.
- Don’t use chipboard or MDF in residences. As an alternative opt for stainless steel or sound wood. Also set up free of charge standing units that can be eliminated if needed.
- On the ground floor, set up rugs on ceramic tiles rather than carpet.
- Set up non-return values into drains, so that water can only movement in a single course. This will support to stop drainage and sewage back-wash in the course of flooding.
Flood resilience measures
Resilience measures are those that support to stem the tide and minimise injury. Here are some ways to do this:
- Sandbags: These can be successful at stopping a groundwater from entering.
- Flood evidence doors and windows: with purpose built flood boards that can be fitted when floods are expected. Also apply water-proofing sealant to the exterior walls.
- Damp-proof membranes: Replace wooden floors with concrete and a damp-evidence membrane.
- Free-standing flood barriers: These minimise damage, although keep in mind that water can even now get in by means of the drainage system.
- Water pumps and back-up generators: This will pump the flood water out of the home for days, weeks and even months. It’s also crucial to have a back-up generator in the very likely event of energy failure for the duration of the flood.
If flooding is most likely to come about, the very first step is get your tenants out of the property to security. Up coming, move electrical appliances and anything portable, to increased ground, such as your automobile! Maintain your landlord insurance coverage policy paperwork to hand, so that you can get in touch with your insurance firm as soon as flooding happens.
If your property is broken, it can be tempting to attempt and conserve its contents. But it is safer to depart properly alone as flood water may possibly be contaminated. Speak with your insurance coverage business as soon as you can, following a flood. A loss adjuster will check out you to assess the damage and suggest a routine of repairs, so that your tenants can be back in their property as soon as achievable.
For much more data about flooding and for up-to-date flood alerts, refer to the Setting Agency’s flood warning tips.